Preventive measure: Baked Potato Wedges Recipe
A) Potatoes – try to find 4 potatoes of uniform size to make all slices the same. This is important so that they can cook at a steady pace. I find soft baked potatoes like Russets, King Edwards or Maris Pipers very good. I want to avoid using wax potatoes because they will carry a lot of moisture and won’t swell.
B) Steam – This is an important step to allow the plates to stand up when steam is released. After half cooked, it absorbs excess water. Steam is just extra moisture without slices. Softer on the inside! It’s best to let them rest until they stop sweating.
C) Seasoning – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper will give a little seasoning. Add more spices, or remove them completely as needed!
D) Salt – Use only half a teaspoon of salt in the seasoning because the seasoning is always an option. But it is difficult to do a “taste test” like birth. If you want to make it salty, add more after cooking!
E) Space – it is important to separate the pegs in the oven. If it’s too close, it will evaporate instead of baking because it gets wet in the process! It is also important to flip so that both sides of the slide are in direct contact with the hot tray.
F) Cooking time – will vary depending on the size of the slices you get. You will still flip after 15 minutes and stay alert!
G) Sauce sauce, see sour cream and leek sauce, and homemade blue cheese sauce! Or make it Australia, with a plate of sour cream and a second plate of hot sweet sauce!
H) Sharing calories depends on the relationship between 4 people, each with about 8 tablets.Print
Baked Potato Wedges Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Large Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot/Ramekin (for seasoning mix)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pot & Colander (for par-boiling wedges)
- Fine Cheese Grater
Ingredients (check list):
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, or more for spicier wedges!
- 4 medium sized White Potatoes (Russets or Maris Pipers work great)
- 1 heaped tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 heaped tsp Paprika
- 1/2 cup / 40g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme (can sub Oregano)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt, plus extra to serve & par-boil (to taste)
- Slice your potatoes into 8 equal wedge shapes. I find this easiest by slicing in half, place flat side down and slice those in half, then flip again and slice in half again.
- Pop in a pot of cold water with a good pinch of salt and bring to boil for 3-4 minutes. You should only just be able to slice with a knife.
- Drain and give them a shake in the colander to rough the edges (optional). Sit and rest to steam for at least 5 minutes. The longer the better (the more steam that escapes the fluffier the inside and crispier the outside).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl/ramekin combine 2 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 heaped tsp Paprika & Garlic
- Powder, 1/2 tsp Thyme & Salt, 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (or to taste) and 1/8th tsp Black Pepper and preheat the oven to 200C/390F.
- Combine your wedges with the oil seasoning, mix to fully coat, then pour in 1/2cup/40g freshly grated Parmesan and mix again.
- Spray or lightly oil an oven tray and evenly space out your wedges. Use 2 trays if you have to.
- Spacing out is important so they don’t steam on each other and room room to crisp up!
- Bake for 25-30mins or until golden brown on the outside. Flip once after 15 mins. Timings will vary depending on your oven/size of wedges so just be vigilant after flipping.
- Enjoy hot with an extra pinch of salt and your favourite dip!
- Category: Appetizers
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 500mg
- Fat: 2.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.08g
- Carbohydrates: 60.1g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Keywords: Potatos wedges, baked potato, Baked Potato Wedges Recipe, baked potato wedges red potatoes