Broccoli cheese and rice casserole is a recipe from the South filled with cheesy goodness! Broccoli and rice with cream cheese and cheddar sauce make casserole easy and delicious!
If you are looking for a side dish that is loved by the whole family, then this broccoli rice casserole is the solution! Mix your favorite velvet cheese sauce with broccoli and rice, then bake. The result is one side (or meat-free fast food that is loved by the whole family)!
How do you make broccoli rice casserole?
Don’t let the house sauce scare you to try this recipe, it’s amazing that this sauce comes from real cheese sauce (much better than just adding a can of soup)!
The sauce for this recipe starts with broth (made only with butter, flour, and milk). Let the butter and flour cook for a few minutes before adding milk to get the best taste.
While stirring and cooking, stir the milk slowly until thick and foamy. Add cheese and stir until melted and tender. Stir in a sauce made from cauliflower and rice, then bake in a casserole dish.Print
Broccoli cheese and rice casserole is a recipe from the South filled with cheesy goodness! Broccoli and rice with cream cheese and cheddar sauce make casserole easy and delicious! #spendwithpennies #broccoliricecasserole #casserole #sidedish #broccolicasserole
- 6 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup onion diced (about 1 small)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic & black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook onion and butter on medium-low heat until softened and translucent. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in milk while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add dry mustard, paprika, cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Place broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes. You still want it slightly crisp as it cooks more in the oven.
- Stir together rice, broccoli and cheese sauce. Place in a greased 2 qt casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese lightly browned.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 servings
- Calories: 307 kcal
Keywords: Broccoli Rice Casserole