The best chicken salad is really great. Great for incredible chicken salad sandwiches (great croissants!), Or tons of lovely green beds. Either way, you’ll fall in love with the best chicken salad ever! It would be better to use a homemade mayonnaise recipe!
If you really mean turning it into the best chicken salad ever made, make mayonnaise from scratch
There is nothing better than the classic homemade mayonnaise (click on the recipe). Of course, mayonnaise can also be used in high-quality stores, but we absolutely love making it from scratch! But one thing to keep in mind is that homemade mayonnaise contains raw eggs, which can be a problem for very young children, the elderly or anyone with an immune defect.Print
Best-Ever Chicken Salad
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 10 people 1x
This Best-Ever Chicken Salad is really wonderful. Perfect for incredible chicken salad sandwiches (croissants are great!), or ton top of a lovely bed of green. Either way, you’re just going to love this Best-Ever Chicken Salad!
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt (start with 1/2 teaspoon, then add more, to taste)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs chicken parts (bone-in, skin-on thighs and breasts work well) (You’ll need about 4 cups)
- 1 cup almonds, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved (red and green varieties are great)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Rub the olive oil all over the chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 165°F using an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let cool. Remove the skin then pull the meat from the bones and roughly chop.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, grapes, almonds, celery, scallions, dll, & parsley.
- In a small-medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add the mayo/mustard mixture to the chicken mixture and gently stir until well mixed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve on a bed of greens with sliced tomatoes and avocado. Or, serve on bread with green leaf lettuce. Add more toppings to your taste!
- You can prepare the chicken up to two days in advance. The dressing can be made 1 or 2 days in advance. Assemble all ingredients day of serving. We feel for best flavor, place assemble salad in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (or overnight), and then set out one hour before serving.
- The salad is best served fresh, but can be frozen. Simply let thaw and then come to room temp. To freshen the salad up, make a small batch of the dressing and stir in before serving.
- We love serving this salad in croissants, although its so delicious, it’s delicious (and beautiful) over a bed of lettuce.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 368 kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 392mg
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
Keywords: chicken salad, easy chicken salad, homemade mayonnaise, Roasted Chicken