Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert). Basundi is a very tasty Indian dessert recipe prepared with milk, Usually in Maharashtra it is served with soft puri in marriage or other functions. Basundi is a delicious dessert made by reducing milk and sugar to a thick consistency. This is chilled, garnished with nuts and served.
Basundi (Gujarati: બાસુંદી, Kannada: ಬಾಸುಂಡಿ, Marathi: बासुंदी, Tamil: பாசந்தி, Telugu: బాసుంది) is an Indian sweet mostly in Gujarat, Maharashtra , Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. It is a sweetened condensed milk made by boiling milk on low heat until the milk is reduced by half. Basudi is nothing but a reduced milk with lots of sugar and nuts in it. You can have Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert)
- It’s 1 litre of milk.
- It’s 300 grams of sweetened condensed milk.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder.
- It’s 1/2 cup of cashews cut in to small pieces.
- It’s 1/2 cup of almonds cut in to small pieces.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of pistachios cut in to small pieces.
- You need 4-5 of saffron strands, soaked in lukewarm milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare to taste of sugar.
The flavour comes from nuts and condensed milk. The lovely natural creaminess, pinkish color adds to the beauty of basundi. Basundi is sweet thickened milk, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg, with the addition of dry fruits. This milk based delicious dessert is popular in the western part of India, specially in the states maharashtra and Gujarat.
Basundi/Rabdi (Milk dessert) instructions
- Add milk in a thick bottom pan, heat up and allow milk to boil in a low flame, stir the milk in between 3-4 minutes once.
- Then add sweetened condensed milk in to the milk and mix together, taste the milk if required more sweet either you can add 50 grams of condensed milk or sugar.
- Then milk starts to thicken, you will notice the milk solids in with creamy texture, keep on stirring the milk for 20-25 minutes.
- Then add cut cashews,almonds and pistachios (save some nuts for garnishing too) to the Basundi and let it boil for another 5 more minutes and simmer to a minute and turn off the flame and then add soaked saffron strands to it mix together.
- Basundi is ready to serve hot or chilled (as you like).
- If you like to serve chill then let the Basundi cools down completely, keep the Basundi in refrigerator for at least 30-45 minutes then serve chill.
The consistency is not thick like that of Rabri, but more fluid and flowing. Basundi / Rabri Recipe is a classic North Indian mithai, where whole milk is simmered and reduced to a thick creamy texture, sweetened with sugar and Basundi also known as Rabri in some parts of India is a creamy rich dessert, is prepared especially during the festivities of Kali Chaudas and just. Both basundi and rabdi, call for the use of full fat milk that is slow cooked for long duration with constant stirring. As u all know,basundi is nothing but the sweetened,thickened milk spiced & garnished with saffron,cardamom and nuts. I wanted to try some flavoured basundi and watched Sanjeev kapoor’s video recipe too.