You only need 3 main ingredients to make these low carb tortilla chips. If you roll them out thinly, they become really crunchy. My kids thought the tasted much better than Doritos
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk or 2 tsp psyllium husk powder
- optional: 1/4 tsp each garlic powder/onion powder/paprika
- 200 g / 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella
- pinch salt
- 75 g / 3/4 cup almond flour ground almonds work well too
- Heat your oven to 180 Celsius / 356 Fahreheit.
- Melt the mozzarella in the microwave (ca 90 sec-2 min). Alternatively, heat gently in a non-stick pot.
- Add the almond flour/ground almonds and psyllium husk plus the salt and spices, if using. Stir until combined, then knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Separate the dough into 2 balls and roll out between 2 sheets of baking/parchment paper. Roll out as thinly as possible! The thinner, the crispier your tortilla chips will turn out.
- Cut into triangles (I used a pizza cutter) and spread out on a sheet of baking paper so the tortilla chips don’t touch.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until browned on the edges. Baking time will depend on the thickness of your tortilla chips. I baked mine in 2 rounds, plus a third round for the off-cuts.
- My tortilla chips weighed around 5-8 grams each and the batch made around 40 chips.
- I’d say if you have a couple of dips, they would be enough for 8 people as a nibble/appetizer (or 4 people if it’s more the main attraction of the evening).
- Nutrition is calculated on the basis of 8 servings (5 tortilla chips per serving).
- If you don’t have psyllium husk, use 2 more tbsp of almond flour instead.
- UPDATE >> A reader who made these pre-cut the tortilla chips, but did not separate them by hand. They separated on their own whilst in the oven. I have not tried this myself yet, but will do when I make my next batch!
- Category: keto
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 143 kcal
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Fat: 9.2g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 8.3g
Keywords: keto snack, low carb snack, low carb tortilla